Another other: son palabras que suelen confundir a los alumnos. Ya verás como cuándo te explique la diferencia entre another other no lo ves tan difícil. Vamos allá!
- Another + singular noun
Examples: Can I have another cup of coffee, please?
Another advantage to living in a small village is peace.
“cup” and “advantage” = singular
- Other + plural noun
Examples: Some people think that living in the city is better than living in a village. Other people think that life in a village is quieter.
Remember: “people” always plural! Common mistake:
I don’t like speaking in public when I am studying English in my school. Other things I don’t like are grammar and listening, which are quite difficult.
- The + other + plural noun/ singular noun If we want to say “el otro”, we always use “the + other”, never another, independientemente de que el sustantivo sea plural o singular.
Examples: I don’t like that bag. I prefer the other bag (or I prefer the other one) = SINGULAR / I don’t like those jeans. I prefer the other jeans (or I prefer the other ones) = PLURAL
- Another + number + plural noun
Examples: Can I have another two beers, please? = another + 2 (number) + plural
REMEMBER! Other and another are always singular when they are followed by a noun, because they are adjective. However, “other”, when it’s not followed by a noun, it’s a pronoun and then = OTHERS
Example: There were three books on my table. One is here. Where are the others? “others” here is a pronoun, because it’s not followed by a noun, so we write -s.
- ________________ person
- ________________ books
- ________________ bag
- ________________ 3 cokes
- There is no ________________ way
- The ________________ students
- The ________________ child
- ________________ opportunity
- I have three bags. One is here, where are the ________________ ?
- I have 20 students. Twelve students love English. The ________________ hate it.
- __another________ person
- ___other_________ books
- ___another_______ bag
- ___another________ 3 cokes
- There is no ____other_____ way = This one is different, “way” is singular, but no + other + singular/plural
- The ____other________ students
- The ____other________ child
- ____another________ opportunity
- I have three bags. One is here, where are the ____others___?
- I have 20 students. Twelve students love English. The ___others___ hate it.
Si te ha gustado este post, no olvides hacer click en algunos de los iconos de abajo g + share, Me gusta o en Tweet para que todos tus amigos puedan verlo también. Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t (Bill Nye)